After the numbing medicine wore off, I was pretty sore for about three days after my shot. From there I started to notice a difference in my pain level. Going up stairs wasn't as hard as it was before, and I had a little more pep in my step. I met with my physical therapist in Columbus, and he put me on an at home therapy plan to gain some strength back before surgery. Everything was slated as "could be tolerated" as far as the exercises went. For about a week I was really pushing myself to try and get in shape. It was a nice week while it lasted, but the cortisone quickly wore off for me. They were hopeful it might last a few months, but it just depends on the person, and for me it was a rather quick fix. I was also prescribed Celebrex, which I continue to take for an anti-inflammatory. I still have daily pain, but it is much worse when I don't take it.
From there I had a choice. I still had four months before surgery, and I was going crazy not doing anything. I started using the elipitical at the gym and walking on the treadmill. I started going back to Jazzercise class and just doing what I could. I stopped when I had pain and started to get in tune with my body. I found a good balance on what I could tolerate and what I couldn't. I was just happy to be moving again.
Fast forward four months and I am packing up my bags to head to Nashville tomorrow. I got the clearance from my insurance company two weeks ago that they would cover my surgery and was put on Dr. Byrd's schedule six months and two days after I first went to see Dr. Edwards. Since my diagnoses I have met several people with the same problem I have (yes I know A-Rod and Lady Gaga have also been making this surgery famous!). I plan to blog my entire experience so that it might help someone else going through this. I will keep you posted with the good, bad and the ugly. I haven't had any imaging done since my MRI in October, so what they will find has happened since then will be interesting!
Here we go...
No comments:
Post a Comment